|Image credit: United States Beer|
Judging for the USBTC differs from other competitions in that entries are first split out by region, with a regional winner determined for each category. Top entries from six identified regions are then pitted head-to-head in order to determine a Grand Champion for each style. Entrants from North Texas compete alongside other beers in the Rockies/Southwest region, with beers from other parts of the country competing in one of five remaining regions: Northeast, Mid-Atlantic/Southwest, Midwest, California, and Pacific Northwest.
Among the winners, Four Swords from Deep Ellum Brewing Co. beat out 33 other beers to be named Grand Champion in the Belgian-Style Ale category. It and other entries from North Texas brewers took regional top honors as follows (click here for a complete list of winners):
Deep Ellum Brewing Company
- Barrel Aged Oak Cliff Coffee Ale in the Spice Beer category.
- Darkest Hour in the Imperial Stout category.
- Four Swords in the Belgian-Style Ale category.
- Bourbon Barrel Temptress in the Whiskey Barrel Aged Beer Category.
- French Quarter Temptress in the Bean Beer category.
- Freaky Deaky in the Belgian-Style Tripel category.
- Great Scot! in the Scottish-Style Ale category.
- Oktoberfest in the Vienna/Märzen Lager category.
- Ugly Pug in the Dark Lager/Dunkel category.
Cheers and congratulations to all!